I turned 30 years old not that long ago. For that occasion I’ve decided to do a three part series: 30 things for my 30th birthday.
I hope I will read it in some years time and I can smile and feel good about my life :)
Short version at the top, if you want the extended version aka – window to my soul – scroll down! ;) enjoy!
30 THINGS I WANNA SAY TO MY YOUNGER SELF:
1. Trust your gut
2. Eat more
3. Travel around Europe more
4. Count your blessings
5. Be proud to be a woman
6. Speak less and listen more
7. Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do something
8. Love your body, don’t hate it
9. Don’t let the boys be mean to you
10. Care about environment more!
11. Draw more
12. Say YES more often
13. Get your frequent flyer memberships straight away
14. Get your citizenships straight away
15. Learn more about politics
16. Smile at strangers
17. Exercise more
18. Don’t be mean to vulnerable people, you don’t know their story
19. Get a motorbike licence
20. Don’t be afraid to travel solo
21. Follow the rule ‘it doesn’t have to be perfect, it has to be finished’ more often
22. Don’t give up on your ideas only because someone called them stupid…
23. Learn to swim while young
24. Write things down right after they happened
25. Learn to properly organise my files!!!
26. Use the facilities at uni to the fullest!
27. Wear skinny jeans!! And crop tops
28. Don’t let the tattoo artist tell you what you wanna do with your body
29. Stop being late! Nip it at the bud
30. Don’t wait for the right moment. Do it now!
Extended version ;)
1. Trust your gut – intuition is so important and most of the times you’re subconsciously right! And I don’t mean ‘I feel in my gut that this plane is gonna crash’ thing.
But more like ‘I’ve got a feeling this person is lying to me’ thing, because most of the time you’re right 😉
2. Eat more – on the edge of eating disorder. I’ve had problems with eating for many years now and that’s how I react to stress. I wish I could tell my young teenage self that starving myself will not solve anything, not to obsess about my weight because it’s so harming!! 💔🙁
3. Travel around Europe more – I cannot believe how many chances I’ve had to go to places and I passed on them! Living in Australia completely changes my perspective! 😱😭
4. Count your blessings – appreciate what you have all the time!!! Be happy, be grateful! Understand your privilege and never take it for granted!
5. Be proud to be a woman – never let anyone make you feel like you’re less of a person because you’re a girl! NEVER!
6. Speak less and listen more – still applies and I should really shut up sometimes and let others share more with me!
7. Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do something – if someone tells you that you can’t achieve something, don’t waste time trying to tell them otherwise! Walk away and start doing it and prove them wrong!
8. Love your body, don’t hate it – I’ve spent most of my life hating myself and how I looked. It’s not important. Is so not ok to feel shit because of that! Perfect doesn’t exist. And your body doesn’t define your happiness. Read that again!
9. Don’t let the boys be mean to you – don’t take their opinions as judgements of reality, don’t let them put you down because you are supposed to be in certain way to please them.
10. Care about environment more! – I wish I was aware of more things when I was younger, I wish I wasn’t so careless with what I do on daily basis and how it affects nature! All those years. I’m just gonna make sure to be careful and care now!
11. Draw more – I used to draw so much! I loved it and then I let others tell me it wasn’t good enough or I have to have certain level of skill to be relevant. Draw for pleasure and stop comparing yourself to others!
12. Say YES more often – no, I don’t mean say yes to go on a 3 day bender and fuck off your responsibilities. Say yes to camping, trips, dinners, dates, and so on! Say yes and see what happens! All the best stories start from that!
13. Get your frequent flyer memberships straight away – get them points girl!!! 👌🏽
14. Get your citizenships straight away (never gonna get over the UK one 😭) – I could’ve had a British passport now! I guess I’m just making room for that Australian one 😉
15. Learn more about politics – don’t be ignorant. It’s your own responsibility to know what happens in your country! No excuses!
16. Smile at strangers – I used to be so grumpy and so proud of that!! What the fuck Maggie?! 😆
17. Exercise more – love your body, don’t hate it! Make it your thing, it’s so simple but so important?
18. Don’t be mean to vulnerable people, you don’t know their story – I was one of the most asshole and judgemental people when I was younger. I had no experience, I couldn’t sympathise with anyone because my head was so stuck up my ass. Just judge less Maggie!
19. Get a motorbike licence – now it feels like it’s a hassle! Expensive one 😂
20. Don’t be afraid to travel solo – oh! The trips I passed on because my friends changed their minds! Seriously! Travelling solo was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my twenties! Travelling solo doesn’t mean lonely!!!!
21. Follow the rule ‘it doesn’t have to be perfect, it has to be finished’ more often – it doesn’t matter how good is your ‘almost done’ piece of work. Finish it. Move on. Fail. Fail better next time. Just FINISH!
22. Don’t give up on your ideas only because someone called them stupid… – if it’s not stupid for me, it’s not stupid 😆
23. Learn to swim while young – it would save me so much struggle now! I wish I was a water baby like my sister! 😭
24. Write things down right after they happened – you know, sort of a diary, but with cool things? And also it makes you remember exactly what you felt at that moment, if you write it down! Memory is a weird and selective thing …
25. Learn to properly organise my files!!! – can I just say, I wish I had those hundreds of thousands photos organised in a neat way! Because doing it now makes me wanna cry!
26. Use the facilities at uni to the fullest! – I wish I had my own darkroom and my own studio. I didn’t use it enough at uni!
27. Wear skinny jeans!! And crop tops – this is complicated and goes back to body weight issues. I always thought I was too far to wear those clothes! I bought my first skinny jeans when I was 19! And it was a milestone for me! 😳
28. Don’t let the tattoo artist tell you what you wanna do with your body – I love my leg tattoo, but I wish I did the tatt I actually really wanted instead of the tattoo artist changing my mind!
29. Stop being late! Nip it at the bud – I wish I worked on it in my early years… trying to get out of that habit now is a hard and long process! 😪
30. Don’t wait for the right moment. Do it now – waiting for the right time to have ‘the talk’, waiting for the right time to make a change, waiting, waiting, waiting! No! This year showed me that there’s literally never the right time. Ever. Don’t wait for it, it doesn’t exist. Deal with your things here and now.